Kaliningrad, Russia, June 9, 2016 - Turkey and Belgium will lock horns in the first match of the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix 2016 Group 1 tournament in Russia. They have one win each in their head-to-head World Grand Prix record so far. Most recently, they met at the Montreux Masters in Switzerland some ten days ago, when Belgium claimed a 3-1 victory.
• Turkey and Belgium have met twice at the World Grand Prix.
• In their 2014 encounter Belgium won 3-1 while in 2015 Turkey won in straight sets.
• Their most recent meeting at a major tournament came at the 2015 European Championship when Turkey won 3-0.
• Turkey will participate at the World Grand Prix for the sixth time. Their best result came in 2012 when they claimed the bronze medal.
• Their 11th place last season was Turkey's worst result at the World Grand Prix so far.
• Turkey have won their last two matches and can win three in a row for the first time since 2014 when they beat Japan, United States and Russia.
• Belgium will make their third appearance. They finished sixth (2014) and 10th (2015).
• Belgium won their first (against Turkey, 3-0) and their last (against Russia, 3-0) match at the 2015 World Grand Prix. They lost every other match in between.
• In their debut season they won eight of their 16 matches.